This week has gone by soooo fast, I can't believe it is already Friday! I feel like I've been super busy, but I don't have a whole lot to show for it. I did however, complete a few sewing projects I've been meaning to do.
With summer fast approaching there are two things I'm worried about - the heat and my boys waking up earlier. haha! I love some good alone time in the morning and with the sun rising earlier each day, that is getting threatened. So I jumped on curtains this week to keep the heat out and the boys sleeping :)
I picked up this sheet a while back for only a couple dollars - $4? It was just what I wanted for Ben's room as far as colors go - the pattern was pretty cute too. And waaaay back I bought a whole bolt of black out curtain liner that came to $2/yard before tax, so these curtains are super budget friendly!
I tried following Allison from House of Hepworth's tutorial for professionally lined curtains, but made a few changes for this situation - since I used a sheet, the edges were all finished until I cut it in half, so I had a lot fewer steps.
First I laid the sheet out on the floor. Looking back I probably should have ironed, but I hate ironing so I typically skip that step if possible :)
Next measure the sheet.
Take a break while 2 cuties 'help' measure EVERYTHING in the house :)
Once the cuties let me get back to work, I cut the sheet in half and folded over the raw edge 1/2" and pinned. Then I did iron this edge down to get it nice and crisp.
I measured out the lining fabric and cut that to size. Then with the lining laying on top of the sheet I folded over the raw edge one more time over the lining and pinned that. Then I sewed down this side and the other two sides that already had seams and followed the seam as closely as possible to hide the new stitching.
Then I just left the bottom edge as it was because it was finished even though it didn't have a seam. Look at a sheet, you'll see what I mean.
I hung them with drapery rings. I tried to attach the rings so only a little was peeking up like Allison did, but it didn't quite work for my fabric so this is what I've got for now. They do a great job at blocking out the sun so I'm sure they'll do great with the heat.
I may go back and hem them a little or move the curtain rod up, we'll see. For now they serve their function and add some cuteness to Ben's otherwise undecorated bedroom.
And they're neutral enough I can keep them no matter if we have a boy or a girl next.