Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Quick and Easy Art

I'm trying to at least finish up my son's room before the baby comes (didn't know I was expecting - yeah probably the worst documented pregnancy ever). Since we're waiting to find out, I've done nothing, nada, zilch towards the nursery. I somehow just can't decorate a gender neutral room.  So I made this quick piece of art for my son's room. I just took a canvas I got at a garage sale for .25 - it originally had a paint by numbers picture on it, but I painted over it. So just some blue painters tape and the paints we used in his room and it was a practically free project.

It's not the perfect chevron pattern but it'll work for some cute wall art.

Monday, August 15, 2011

Bed Frame Makeover

I actually finished this project a while ago, just forgot to share it.
For quite a while after we moved in our bed frame was sitting in the garage waiting to be painted and our mattress was on the floor. I realized that with the growing belly, getting out of the bed was going to get harder and harder. So I finally just did this. 

I got this bed frame for around $30 when we first moved to Las Vegas. I've been thinking about painting it since I got it. It was a nice dark brown before but I felt it would be nicer black with the colors I'm going for in our room.

I skipped the sanding/priming step and just went ahead with painting it with a black latex paint.

I love how it turned out and how it looks with our bedding. It is standing up nicely so far even though I didn't sand/prime.

Now on to more projects so I can have a finished bedroom. Let's not even talk about the nursery/guest room. I have no clue how to go about starting this gender neutral nursery. 

P.S. Did you notice the makeover I gave the blog? What do you think? I'm really liking the change.

Anything Related

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Check Another One Off

Don't you just love the feeling you get when you can check off another project from your list? I do. So that's what I've been working on this week. I finished lining the curtains with blackout and its amazing! This craft is one we did with the young women of our church shortly after I was asked to be a leader. I didn't finish it then since we were moving and I couldn't decide on a color. 

It is a subway art of the 13th article of faith.
Now I just have to find a place to hang it. So what have you been working on lately?

Keeping It Simple
Anything Related

Beyond The Picket Fence


Monday, August 1, 2011

Working on My To-Do List

I've been back from girl's camp for a week now, unfortunately though I don't have a single picture to show for it so for all my husband knows, I was at the lodge on vacation instead of sleeping in a tent. :-D It was a ton of fun and the weather was beautiful, a touch on the cool side but I rather enjoyed it knowing it was triple digits back home.

So now that I'm home and I've recovered my sleep, laundry is caught up, cleaning is mostly done, and we're back to our regular 'schedule' I am jumping back into some projects. This one jumped to the top of my list when I saw our most recent power bill: lining on our curtains. I got curtains for our windows a while back at Ikea, just some simple cotton ones. Then I got a whole bolt of black out liner at Joann's, on sale and with a coupon it cost me $2/yard before tax! Talk about a huge score, at least I thought it was.

So I simple measured out the lining and pinned it to the back of my curtains and sewed it together.

Here's a shot of the window before. It does a nice job of softening the light, but heat definitely still comes through. (this is just one of two panels, by the way)

And here's the comparison. I have a bunch more windows to go, but this is going to help a whole lot. Yeah for energy saving!
I also plan on painting these curtains for our room like this tutorial (brilliant!) I just need to find a pattern that my hubby likes too. Hopefully this will be the beginning of many items checked off my list.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...